Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mourning the Fallen: Life (NBC)

6 Episodes Pending, 0 to Record (Canceled)

It's very sad when a show you enjoy gets canceled.  Unfortunately, that is the nature of television and the burden of every TV fan.  I knew Life was in limbo when the new season started on NBC last fall.  Like many shows scarred by the writer's strike last year (wow, that was last year?), the show lost its momentum when it returned in the fall.  Unlike many other cop shows (which I typically do not follow), the show was more character-driven and the main character, played by the always-game Damien Lewis, had his own personal mystery to resolved.


If you're not familiar with the show, Lewis plays Charlie Crews, a fruit-loving cop that was wrongfully accused of murder and was sentenced to life in prison.  While in prison, new evidence absolved him and he got a hefty settlement from the LAPD along with his old job.  The show was great, and the first season had a first-rate supporting cast.  Sarah Shahi plays Dani Reese, his parter (who battles demons of her own).  Adam Arkin plays his friend Ted Early (an ex-con he met in prison).  Finally, the first season featured the talented Robin Weigert (who was excellent as Calamity Jane on Deadwood - another show that ended too soon).  Anyways, it was an exciting show with clever mysteries solved each week, all while Charlie figured out who framed him for murder and tried to piece his life together.

I don't know about other people, but I get very discouraged from watching episodes of canceled shows.  I had an entire season of Dirty Sexy Money sitting on my DVR for months before I realized I did not want to invest any more time to a show that was not getting resolved.  For me, a show has to be excellent for me to want to submit myself to additional episodes knowing the show is canceled.  Life, however, is another matter.  I still have 6 episodes left to watch of the great show.  I just hope it has a satisfying ending (although I'm not keeping my hopes up).  I just want Charlie to have a happily-ever-after ending and for him to solve the mystery.  For now, the DVR has somehow kept the show alive for longer than NBC ever wanted.  Either way, I'll be sad when the show is over and completely deleted from my DVR. 

DVR Priority Status: 6 episodes left from the show's final season (sniff, sniff!).  

Available Space: 40hr 37min

No comments:

Post a Comment