Friday, August 28, 2009

Show Status: Out of Egypt (Discovery Channel)

2 Episodes Recorded, 2 Pending, 0 to Record

It usually takes me a while to learn about new shows unless they're highly publicized network/cable events. Recently, while reading one of the newer issues of Entertainment Weekly, I skimmed through Clark Collis's guide to the week in television. Collis provides excellent, witty commentary on some of television's more overlooked shows. That particular issue was a two-part issue (probably the Fall Movie Preview). One show caught my eye with the following listing:

9-11PM
Discovery, TV-PG
Series Debut
Out of Egypt
This new history show is fronted by Lost Egyptology expert Kara Cooney. What do you mean, you
didn't know Lost had an Egyptology expert? All the cool shows do these days.

Like most history geeks out there, I thought this show sounded pretty cool. It wasn't only the appeal of watching a show about Egyptology, but knowing that the expert worked on Lost. Not remembering the actual name of the show, I browsed through days and days of Discovery Channel listings until I found it and added it to the bottom of my DVR queue. It premiered last Monday with two episodes (for whatever reason numbers 3 and 4). On Tuesday, I opened my DVR list and there it was starring back at me. Having spent Tuesday & Wednesday on a soap opera marathon with my wife (with the added bonus of finally watching the Project Runway All-Star Challenge and elmininating an extra two hours from my DVR), I finally decided to tackle it this morning.

Overall, I thought it was an egaging show. I've only watched about half an hour of the total running time (approximately 40 minutes without commercials) of the first episode. In the show, Cooney travelled to ancient Egypt, Italy, Peru, Israel, and Sri Lanka to discuss relics and mummies. It has good production values and she amazingly is provided access into some cool places and archeological sites due to her academic profile(she works for UCLA). In Egypt, she was present during the opening of a crypt filled with animal mummies. I knew that Egyptians preserved animal mummies, but I had no idea it was to send their messages to the gods. It was very interesting and I'm excited to finally finish the episode tonight and delete the one hour out of my queue.

DVR Priority Status: Currently 49/52, but I will keep it on my queue

Update: I finished the episode. Mission accomplished! One hour deleted from the DVR.

Available Space: 37hr 24min

No comments:

Post a Comment